Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Square Rant #2: My my metrocard

I haven't been blogging because I went to DC for a science and technology policy forum. It was pretty good; it was interesting to hear from some folks in Washington (DC, not to be confused with Washington state) about their careers in science policy and about how they got there. And, we were at the National Academies of Science, which is across the street from where the Obama transition team is working!

So I took the Metro to and from the airport, and when I was heading back to the airport, I got a metrocard with Obama's face on it! It says something like "celebrating inauguration" and I was super excited and thought, I will treasure this forever. Even though I wasn't in DC for inauguration, I was close! So I go to put it in the slot to get out of the Metro at the airport, and apparently I had exact fare so the thing ate it! I was pissed. So I thought, well I'll just buy another one. So I put money in the fare box thing, and out comes a metrocard with a stupid panda. I looked at it and made a pouty face. The attendant came over and asked if there was something wrong. I explained that I had wanted Obama and I got the stupid panda, and then I gave him my card, telling him that I didn't need it and I was leaving to go home. He said, well wait. And he went into his little box, and got a card with Obama on it for me.

It was so awesome.

Not that I hate pandas or anything, because I don't, but I was super stoked on the Obama metrocard.

It kind of reminded me of the epispode where Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy trading cards come out, and SpongeBob buys every packet but one from the store trying to get the valuable talking card. Then Patrick buys the last pack of cards, and gets the card! He tells SpongeBob he can have the card at the end of the day. So SpongeBob follows Patrick around as he uses the card for anything that could possibly ruin or destroy it- he cleans with it, eats off of it, uses it to start fires, the usual.

When I watch this episode, I think about the Buddhist idea of non-attachment. SpongeBob goes nuts as Patrick destroys the card because he is attached to the card and its value. I feel that way about lots of my stuff. But when you worry constantly about the possibility of losing or wrecking something, you are imprisoned! Then you don't enjoy the thing. It is better just to let it go and enjoy what you can from it. The glass is already broken!

Although with the Obama metrocard, I got it back. Really the important thing is the story- this pointless story. But it got us to Buddhism by way of SpongeBob! That's how you know it's worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment