Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy

In this one, Mermaid Man runs off leaving his belt behind and SpongeBob grabs it. He decides to hang onto it (it has prevented the fall of nations, and pants!) and he starts shrinking all kinds of things.

I love Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy! They are maybe some of the most ridiculous heroes, but in SpongeBob they are like comic book or tv superheroes but they are also real people (and they are aging! Mermaid Man is totally an old guy that doesn't remember where he left things or who the bad guys are) that eat at the Krusty Krab and get annoyed by "that Sponge kid". Their villains are equally as ridiculous, like Man Ray and the Dirty Bubble. The thing I don't understand is that "Barnacles" is sort of profanity in SpongeBob SquarePants, so how is a sidekick named that?

If I could make superheroes and supervillains, I think they would be kind of like these guys. They are their characters in real life- no secret identities. They have some neat gadgets and big adventures but are also just kind of everyday people that have everyday adventures.

Actually, I love the idea of everyday adventures. I'm kind of a busy gal, but I still like to have adventures so they seem to fit well into my schedule. I should have them more often. But then, I'd have to leave the living room. And SpongeBob.

When Kevin suggested the name for this blog (which, by the way, the address was taken by some girl named Sara who has never posted a single entry on her SpongeBlog) he also suggested that I could go off on "SquareRants" so here goes:

SquareRant #1: My latest everyday adventure (these are previously known to my campers when I was a counselor as "pointless stories". I have recently decided to bring them back, and this seems to be the perfect venue.)

Season and I got dolled up for New Year's and went to Mancini's for Suits and Sequins. Kurt, Rachel and Wyatt came with us, and we met up with more people there. Kurt and I were carpooling and arrived before the rest of our crew, and when we went up to the bar this really drunk older lady told me, "you look ad-or-a-ble!!" and I said thank you. Then I told her I liked her boot- she was drinking out of a glass shaped like a boot that lit up! She said, "what about her boots?!" and she turns to her friend, who is crammed in at the bar like a sardine, and she says, "show her your boots!". So the friend, also an older, drunk lady tries to wiggle around enough to get her leg up so that I can see her boots. they are knee-high white boots, and I say something like, "oh yeah! Those are nice! Can you walk in them? I couldn't because I can't walk in heels." The lady is all about this conversation, and says "oh yeah, these are great boots." Meanwhile the other lady is now asking me, "well what about my boot?" and showing me the boot she's drinking out of. At this point, Kurt gets me a drink and we try to get away from the bar while they shout, "happy new year!" I try to tell them it's still two hours away, but they argue that the like to be early for things. Okay, ladies.

2 comments:

  1. I love beer boots and playing German drinking games. I need to go to Madison!!!

    If those ladies were drunk enough, I bet they would have sung, "These boots are made for walkin' all over you."

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo! new blog! fancy!

    lookin' forward to more square rants.

    ReplyDelete